June 16, 2021
Dear NCS Families:
We are so looking forward to seeing your sailor(s) this summer! This email is full of helpful information, intended to help you plan ahead, as we inch closer to the sailing season. We have also included our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, so please read thoroughly:
Class Session Times
Guppies 9am - 11:30am (DO begins at 8:45am)
Whalers AM 9:15am - 11:45am (DO beings at 9am)
Opti Green AM 9:30am - 12pm (DO begins at 9:15am)
Whalers PM 1pm - 3:30pm (DO begins at 12:45pm)
Opti Green PM 1:15 - 3:45pm (DO begins at 1pm) *NOTE CHANGE IN CLASS TIME* (previously 1:30 - 3:30)
Opti Blue 9am - 11:30am (DO begins at 8:45am)
420 Green/Blue 9:30am - 12pm (DO begins at 9:15am)
Opti Race 1pm - 4:30pm (DO begins at 12:45pm)
420 Devel/Race 1:15pm - 4:45pm (DO begins at 1pm)
Covid-19 Policies and Procedures
- NCS will be in accordance with the CDC, State of Massachusetts, and Town of Nantucket guidance at all times, and our policies and procedures are subject to change. As of June 5, 2021, our COVID-19 policies are as follows:
- Face coverings are required on shore for all NCS students this summer. Face coverings are not required on the water. Please have your sailor arrive with a mask on. We will have extra disposable masks on site
- Hand sanitizing will be required at check-in and check-out and hand sanitizer will be readily available at our sites.
- NCS will sanitize shared equipment between sessions and lessons. This includes PFDs.
- We have encouraged our NCS staff to be fully vaccinated ahead of the start of programs, and we have documented who these instructors are. Instructors who choose not to be vaccinated, or cannot be vaccinated, will be required to wear a mask while instructing at NCS this summer.
- Our NCS instructors will maintain their cohort of students for the entire length of the one-week session, to the best of our ability, and maintain proper social distancing, per CDC Guidelines.
- We encourage eligible students to be vaccinated prior to attending class.
- We ask that parents drop off and pick up their students swiftly at our sites and don't linger. We are aiming to reduce groups from congregating. We have purposefully staggered drop off and pick up times.
- Please do NOT send your student to class if they are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with COVID-19. A list of symptoms can be found here. Please familiarize yourself with them.
Class Start Time Delayed/Class Cancelled (Rainy Days/High Wind Days/Other)
When we are able to anticipate a high wind day - or a significantly rainy day - where we cannot safely be on the water, we will cancel class. There will be no indoor class at the Coffin School. We will also cancel class if there is a concern around COVID-19 exposure. Please expect an EMAIL and/or TEXT MESSAGE from NCS on these days. It will be sent NO LATER than 30 minutes before the start of drop off for a class (by 8:30am for morning classes; by 12:15pm for afternoon classes). Occasionally, we choose to hold class at the site, and despite our best intentions, we are caught in inclement weather. On these days, you will be notified by EMAIL and/or TEXT MESSAGE for an early pick-up. We expect you to pick up your student as quickly as possible on these days.
Parent Student Handbook
What should my sailor bring with them to sail?
- Bathing Suit
- Shorts and T-shirt that can get wet
- Hat and Sunglasses
- Fleece or Rain Jacket
- Sunblock (please apply ahead of arriving)
- Water bottle
- Closed-toed shoes with a back/strap and non-marking sole, that can get wet are mandatory for participation (crocks, Keens, old sneakers, Natives, or water shoes).
- Life Jacket (or use an NCS PFD - see below)
- Guppies should plan to bring a small snack
Where is the NCS Polpis location?
We are located at 18 Wauwinet Road. If you enter our address into any maps app, it will guide you directly to our Polpis location. We are on the left hand side of the road as you head to Wauwinet. Look for our 'NCS' sign at the end of the beach access road.
*Please note there is NO Polpis Van service in 2021*
Where is the NCS Jetties Location?
We are located at the Jetties public beach at the end of Bathing Beach Road. This is the same parking lot as the Sandbar Restaurant. When you park in the parking lot and look north, see the playground in the dune on the right. Take the playground path towards the water, turn right to see us along the dune in two wooden sheds and a tent.
Students are welcome and encouraged to bring their own PFD this summer. Please note, it must be USCG Type III - if it is not compliant, your student will use an NCS PFD. And for those students who do not own PFDs, we will supply and disinfect PFDs all summer long, as-needed!
We are still offering private lessons to youth (ages 5+) and adult students at our Jetties Sailing Center. We also offer kayak, paddle board and sailboat rentals. To learn more, and make a booking (required), please visit our Jetties Sailing Center website.
Still need a face covering? Support NCS at the same time! Shop online and have your merchandise shipped or shop at the NCS Office Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm (face coverings required.)
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for regular news and updates: @nantucketcommunitysailing
Questions ahead of the season? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you soon!
Main Office: 508-228-6600